Friday, August 16th, 2013

Death of a Nation

rip The Nation has long since been all but unreadable. Now, they are turning themselves in a tchotchke peddler. And the geegaws are utterly terrible, too. If liberals were half as smart as they like to think they are (or as The Nation tells them they are), this crap wouldn’t be possible.

Share Button

Posted by Michael Dawson | Filed in Bad Products, Eyeballs and Eardrums (The Media), Flattery

8 Responses to “Death of a Nation”

1. August 16th, 2013 at 8:30 pm

High Arka said:

Michael, after all of the times you’ve hurt me, I know I shouldn’t come crawling back to you. You’ve done it again, though. I am a GLUTTON for the punishment you dish out.

Going by these signs, it really can’t be long now before Bruce Springsteen is hawking tickets to Dancing With World Leaders, so that for only an additional $9.99 a month on your Netflix bill, you can watch Obama and Satan dancing homoerotically on the national mall, drinking wine made from the blood of children while ordering that dump trucks full of this year’s wheat crop be burned before a sobbing choir of flayed cherubs.

2. August 17th, 2013 at 1:58 pm

Marla Singer said:

I am mostly fascinated that such projects are viable to begin with. Not in whether or not this would be profitable (it almost certainly will be), but in a sense that sufficient number of adults decide that this is worth doing to begin with. They decide it is worth investing labor, time, and of course capital, in setting up this.

I suppose this is the result of my relative comfort (for now…, and lack of impetus for hustling), but generally I am simply incapable of imagining myself ever being able to propose this type of project/shop/specific souvenir with a straight face, much less energetically pursue it to success. In fact, I can’t even imagine the necessary discussions, meetings, deliberations, plans, etc. for this without dozing off from boredom/waking up from rage.

Basically I don’t care about the nation; but devoting so much effort to useless crap in general surely ought to be a scandal, but it ain’t

3. August 18th, 2013 at 2:03 am

High Arka said:

I’m glad Marla raised the point she did about effort. We believe in transnational elites, and yet, we’re confronted with The Hangover (and the Nation’s new coffee mugs) produced by their media entities, which would seem to suggest that these robber barons are dundering morons. How can they possibly maintain such a strong grip on global politics if they’re really that dumb?

This is the power of management and delegation. By creating a climate in which there are true believers, the elites provide that the true believers will–for low salaries, on their own time, and while simultaneously doing all of their other busywork–generate stuff like this. It is hard work to raise cattle, but once you do, you get not only milk and butter, but beef also. With humans, you get self-generated social controls modeled after the ones you originally sowed.

4. August 21st, 2013 at 10:37 am

Michael Dawson said:

They have television and its mutations (internet and “smart”phones). Probably more dangerous to the species than nuclear bombs. People now spend almost all their “free” time lost in that mindless jungle. And speaking of the huge contrast between elite power and elite skill, have TCTers tried watching any TV lately? The content is just appallingly stupid and cheap. Gilligan’s Island looks like Shakespeare in comparison. Really.

5. August 22nd, 2013 at 3:29 am

Martin said:

I just can’t do TV anymore – all the grown-ups are falling all over “Breaking Bad” and “Mad Men” and the alleged high-brow ecstasies, but the characters are repellent.
    The same goes for pop music, now that I spent 3 hours in a car with the prepubescent set listening to the Brill Building latest crass and shrill “product,”, I’m also ever so proud that I am rid of compelling youthful addictions: movies, novels, all over-hyped delusions.
    So that makes me just another get-off-my-lawn non-purchaser, dipping into the faded, puterfying Internet for quick chills.
    At least I don’t have to teach “communications” or some godawful derivative this fall – there should be a teacher/professor burn-out project/website like there is for turned-atheist clergy.
    Where has my culture gone – into TCT?

6. August 22nd, 2013 at 6:16 am

High Arka said:

(Write me if you want something good to watch.)

7. August 22nd, 2013 at 6:22 am

Marla Singer said:

I’d like to know too (where to look for something watchable).

8. August 25th, 2013 at 7:46 pm