Some interesting, if unsurprising, facts on the latest advance in the marketing process known as “politics,” from a recent Advertising Age report:
The most marked changes in what viewers will see this fall compared with prior falls is not only in how many ads will confront them, but who is behind them. The explosion of Republican groups — super PACs, 501(c)(4) organizations, trade associations with political arms — is without question the biggest development in all 2012 advertising.
At the presidential level alone, between April 10 (when Romney unofficially claimed the party’s nomination) and early September, these groups accounted for 55% of all presidential ads aired on the Republican side. The remaining 45% were aired by Romney and the Republican National Committee. During this same timeframe in 2008, only 3% of all Republican ads were sponsored by outside groups; 97% were aired by the McCain campaign or the RNC.
On the Democratic side, the difference between 2008 and 2012 is negligible: 91% of all presidential ads aired during the April-September period in 2012 were sponsored by either the Obama campaign or the Democratic National Committee; just 9% of the ads aired came from outside groups such as Priorities USA Action. In 2008, the breakdown was 96% to 4%.
This not only confirms the basic nature of how the U.S. system now works — the rich blatantly buy elections, but also provides yet another major proof of the bankruptcy of the Democratic Party, which makes not a peep about this trend.
And, of course, the explosion in the degree to which all “campaign” discourse now occurs via TV advertisement continues. The same Ad Age reporter estimates that there are now 43,000 political television advertisements running every day in the United States.